Selection and verification of the business name
The selection of business name is one of the most important steps in establishing a company. A distinctive and memorable business name will contribute to the renown and success of a firm.
The following restrictions have been imposed on business names in Estonia, which should be taken into consideration:
- the business name must include an indication of the company’s form of business (such as OÜ or “osaühing” at the beginning or end of the name);
- the business name may not include the name of a person who is not a shareholder/partner;
- the business name may not be similar to other companies’ business names already entered into the register;
- the business name may not be similar to already registered trademarks, unless the companies are operating in different areas of activity.
Besides local companies, European Community trademarks have legal protection in Estonia:
- a company’s business name and area of activity may not be in conflict;
- the business name may not be contrary to good morals;
- Clear distinguishability of business name.
You can check the desired name for distinguishability. You can do this in the Commercial Register information system where the new name is compared to previous entries in the search results. The court that maintains the register will make decisions regarding distinguishability and suitability.Check if a business name is available Try Business Name Generator